Sociology takes you beyond a superficial understanding of the world. It highlights the connections between individuals’ experiences and larger social forces, and how each affects the other. Understanding broad social structures and cultural/historical tendencies at work within societies gives you a strong foundation for making an impact through research, participation, and action.
At Mason, we prepare you to participate in important public debates in the face of continuous social transformation. With our emphasis on public sociology – where research moves from the classroom to the world to address matters of urgent public concern – and on globalization you will learn how social movements emerge from the collective efforts of individuals, how social forces work to define racial identities and gender roles, and how social inequality shapes your life and the lives of others.
The courses you take, along with experiences such as internships, independent undergraduate research, and opportunities for studying abroad, will immerse you in the theories and practice of sociology. These theories will help you to understand social phenomena while you develop the research skills to investigate the questions that interest you. You will learn how to conduct surveys, interviews, and effective systematic observation of social life, taking advantage of Mason’s proximity to the nation’s capital and its surrounding environment as a site for research and community involvement.
The research skills, critical thinking, and strong writing that you will develop are highly valued by prospective employers and graduate schools. Our graduates work in community and social services, education, management, and human resources. The BA is also a solid foundation for graduate work in sociology.
All students have opportunities to
- conduct independent research
- engage in globally-related activities through coursework and language study at Mason and abroad
- participate in many forms of public service
- prepare for their future careers through internships, career-focused minors and other college-to-career activities
Undergraduate research/ experience:
- Mason Summer Entrepreneurship Accelerator (MSEA): https://startup.gmu.edu/msea-mason-summer-entrepreneurship-accelerator
- Patriot Green Fund: https://green.gmu.edu/patriot-green/how-to-apply-for-funds/
- Classroom to Makers: http://makers.onmason.com/c2mw/