All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the MA program in anthropology must submit
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates Application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- One official transcript from all previous institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Admissions Office or, if an official electronic transcript, to the Mason’s official email address for transcript receipt. Official Transcripts.
- Goals statement that should include reasons for wishing to pursue an MA in anthropology at Mason.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members or others who can evaluate the applicant’s academic potential (If possible, at least one letter should be from an academic setting.)
- 1,000-word writing sample, such as an essay or full-length research paper.
- A current resume.
Applicants with international academic credentials should apply 30 days before the program deadline and must also provide
- Proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- Degree certificates, diplomas, or additional transcript documentation as outlined in the university’s International Transcript Submission Guidelines.
- Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package.
- Applicants to the MA in anthropology must have 3 credits of sociocultural anthropology before applying to the program.
- GRE scores are not required.
Fall: April 01
Spring: November 01
All applicants are strongly advised to submit applications and all supporting documents by the programs' posted deadline dates.